Monday, December 21, 2009

I have overly strict and forceful parents, Biblical advice?

My parents are very strict. I am not allowed to listen to any music other than classical and ';traditional'; Christian. I am not allowed to be out with girls unless a parent present, and swimming is strictly forbidden, I am also only allowed to see friends about two times a month, because anything beyond that is termed as ';living'; with them.


I have learned to deal with all of that, but recently my mother has informed me I will be required to attend a Christian college the first year of college, but they will only pay for part of it. This will result in about $4000 spent on my part. Another issue is the college doesn't offer my major, and none of the credits will transfer. This will be not only a waste of money but also a waste of an entire year of my life. I feel that at 17 years old I should be able to start developing my own beliefs and positions.


My mother is a old-time Christian in the extreme, and she expects me to be the same; while I am a Christian, I have many beliefs that are different from hers. Am I right? Should I be able to exercise my own beliefs? Should I be able to make some decisions on my own? And how should I handle the situation of my college education?I have overly strict and forceful parents, Biblical advice?
The more they are your parents the more you are to be kind to them.


Once you are on your own then you do whatever it is that you like with their good teachings with you.


If they lead you astray from God, then chose a new guardian.





Parents are parents and if they pay your way then its not your voice that is needed to be heard.





The more strict your parents are the worse you will become once they are not around. This error is spawned from fear and lack of control on their part so they over control you.I have overly strict and forceful parents, Biblical advice?
I think it's fair to tell them that if you are going to have to shell out the money for your college, you should get to decide which college you want to go to, especially if this one they want you to go to doesn't offer your major.





Once you are 18 they can't tell you what to do. They can cut off financial support, but there have been students who have gone to college on their own student loans and grants. Look into those.





Best of luck
If you're going to be paying for this education, I think it's time you left these people's roofs.





They can make you go to the school of their choice OR they can make you pay for it. They're being abusive.





Of course, that means getting a job and an appartment.


Lots of people have done it before. I think it's time you did as well.


Just remember if there's a will there's a way.
wow I thought my mom was over protective! I don't know what to tell you; you should be able to make your own decisions but at the same time the Bible says we should respect our parents.





The only advice I can give is pray about it; maybe God will change your mother's heart or if not he will make something good out of your year at Christian college
Your mother clearly loves God, the Bible, and Religion more than her own flesh and blood.





I don't know what to tell you. The best thing in my opinion seems to be man up and put up with it and don't do it to others.





I feel for you but man that's a tough situation. Good luck!
guess what mom I'm18 and I'm a big girl now and can make my own decisions. So you have 1 year left so show respect and honor your parents and wait till you can move out. oh don't blame god for the way your mom is acting.maybe you could throw your burdens on god and see how he helps you.
Your mom and dad are hypocrites. How were you created? That's right, by doing the nasty. Only virgins are entitled to be so pious. Tell your parents this the next time they give you any grief.
I think your college situation sucks, but you should respect your parents' wishes. I'm sure they love you. They've cared for you all this time. Just pray and I hope God will see you through this on good terms with your folks.
If you are for real...get the hell out and never turn back, or you will turn into a pillar of wasted life. Life is better than that.
Your mother clearly loves God, the Bible, and Religion more than her own flesh and blood. Your parents do NOT deserve you. At all.
I will pray for you that God gives you Wisdom.
She can't force you to attend a christian college.
You clearly are almost an adult. Move out now while you know everything. Get a job, pay all your own bills, car payments, gas, groceries, rent and all of your college tuition and books.





How mean of your parents to expect you to follow their rules. After all just because it is their home shouldn't mean you have to have any restrictions.





As a parent I can't believe they are trying to teach you how to become a decent, responsible person, after all it is your life they are messing with.





Waste a year of your life going to a Christian College. How dare they give you an opportunity to be in a Christian environment while you adjust to being away from home. After all you might want to marry a tramp and have no need to meet young women who have been raised in a Christian home.





Now for the Biblical advice:


Ephesians 6:1


Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right.


Colossians 3:20


Children, obey [your] parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
tell your parents all this. that you're 17 and God stresses the point of us making our own choices. you sound like a good kid so tell your parents that you're old enough and smart enough to make your own choices. tell them you have your own beliefs and we live one life and that you'd like a chance to live your one life the way you want to. before you talk to them, write out all that you want to do for your education and where you wanna go for college and why. then you'll have everything planned out and your point of view will probably win them over.
First of all, don't talk back to your parents because according to the bible that is a crime that should be punished by death.


(I am being humorous, of course).


Anyway, this is messed up beyond anything. This is NOT right, and it sounds like your parents are definitely not capable of making good decisions, especially for their child. While the rules about friends and swimming are bad enough, the college thing is terrible.


Once you turn 18, your parents really don't have any control over you. If you don't want to go to a Christian college, you don't have to and they have no bearing on this. Are your parents paying for the rest of your college? If so, then you are still dependent on them and will want to keep them on your good side.


If you are paying for college by yourself, then go to whatever college you want to. Your parents can't make you do anything. I'm assuming you will be 18 by the time you start college, so if you have the money, make your own decisions.


You are past the point when your parents need to tell you what to do.


And frankly, it sounds like you have been past that point for a long time.
Pentecostal??? ';Only allowed to see friends about two times a month=living with them??!!! Very odd.





You are 17, either bide your time until you are 18 or get out now, get a job and work hard and get into a school that you choose. Your parents are going to hinder your life to such a degree that your dreams and aspirations will not be realized.





Yes you have every right to exercise your own beliefs. You can love your parents from a distance. Don't let them ruin your life.
You are 17 years old. Next year you will be classed as an adult; are your parents going to rule you for the rest of your life? I'm sure your parents want what they think is best for you but I think at 17 you are old enough and have enough experience to decide what you want in your own life... Do you even want to go to this college?


It sounds like your parents are unrealistically uptight. In this day and age it is possible to be modern AND a Christian, do they realise this? As for not being able to spend time with your friends, it seems to me that your mother wants you to be as uptight and closed-minded as she is, with no life and no friends.


I see this going two ways:


1. You can tell your parents that you are an adult and that this is what you want to do with your life and that in order to do that you need to do this, this %26amp; this (ie. go to particular college to get degree or whatever in your choice of field, spend time out with friends like a normal teen, etc)


or 2. You can follow your parents rules, go to the college they want you to go to, save hard to pay for it, live like a hermit then when you are old enough and become more independent you can move out and go to college to do what you want to do.


The latter of course would mean that you have wasted precious time and money, but will keep your parents happy for a while.


Phew! You poor girl!
The Bible says you must honor your parents, but that does not mean your beliefs have to be the same as theirs. Your parents have been given to you for a reason, you just might not have discovered what it is yet. Try to talk to them and explain that while you love them and want to honor their wishes, you are an individual with your own wants needs and desires. Once you are eighteen, you are legally an adult and can do what you wish with your life, so the college situation is basically your choice. Pray about it, ask God to show you what is the right thing to do. If you need any further help, feel free to email me anytime for anything.


Good luck, I hope things go well.
  • make up school
  • oreal
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment